Thursday, June 12, 2008

I Have A Lot To Do

“So what are you doing with yourself these days?” I get this question a lot. Now that the children are grown and I don’t have a job, my friends want to know how I fill my days. I’m probably the wrong person to ask. I actually enjoy the mundane routines that provide structure to my days. I remind them that I still have laundry to fold, bills to pay, grocery shopping, cleaning, and dogs to tend. They sigh, and nod their heads sympathetically, but I know they’re disappointed with my answer.

It’s as if Lewis and Clark returned from their magnificent journey with the Corps of Discovery and explained that other than hunting and fishing and a whole lot of walking there wasn’t much to report. I’d get a better response if I said I’d taken up pole dancing or professional poker. I think they’re hoping I’ll provide evidence of something exciting just around the corner.

But once in a while, I get a day with no chores or lists or appointments and I get to think about their question. Maybe the better approach is to start at the end. On your very last day, when you look back over the years, what will make you smile? What moments stand out? Are there things you’ll wish you’d done? People, places, and experiences that brought you joy or fill you with longing to try again?

And here we are, with this day stretching out before us like a blank page. I hope you’ll excuse me. I have a lot to do today.

No comments: